I have tried to delete a normal file from my hard drive and was not able to do so and got the below message:
You need permission to perform this action
I stated searching how to sort out this issue and finally was able to delete the file using the below steps:
- Close all open programs.
- Open an elevated command prompt by clicking Start > All Programs >Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then "Run as Administrator'.
- From the prompt type: CD %userprofile%\Desktop and press Enter.
- now type: dir /x to get the 8.3 filename of the file you are trying to delete and press Enter.
- leave the Command Prompt window open. Open the Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc).
- In the Task Manager, Close Explorer.exe, leave Task Manager open.
- From the Command Prompt window, delete the file with del filename.ext
- From the Task Manager, Reopen/restart explorer.exe. Close Task Manager.